So you’re thinking of getting the dropshipping course by Kevin Zhang but been wondering “is Kevin Zhang a scam?”.
I know this review a few months too late, but it’s just something that I had to write about here on the website because not many of us can forget his *cough* annoying *cough* ads.
And I do still want to write this here because I have a feeling that he will make a comeback soon as the sales page and many of his social media accounts (except for Facebook and Instagram) are still alive.
At the end of the post, I’ll also share my point of view on doing eCommerce dropshipping and the number one platform that I’ve been using to make money online.
As always, please know that I’m by no means associated with Kevin Zhang. I’m not going to profit in any way, shape, or form should you decide to get his course.
Now without further ado, let’s get started!
Is Kevin Zhang a scam? Here’s the truth..
Here’s an overview what I’ll discuss in this Kevin Zhang review:
- Who is Kevin Zhang?
- Kevin Zhang’s ecommerce Millionaire Mastery Overview
- Is Kevin Zhang A Scam? Can You Trust Him?
- Should You Get Ecommerce Millionaire Mastery?
- Another Way to Make Money For Beginners
Fake Guru Red Flags
Before I start with my review of Kevin Zhang, I want to share the video below on how you can detect some red flags from online “gurus” out there.
The red flags don’t necessarily mean that they are all scams, but you might want to be careful with the courses that they offer.
Spoiler alert: Kevin Zhang ticked off many of those red flags.
Who is Kevin Zhang?
Kevin Zhang is a child of Chinese immigrants residing in California, USA who claimed to have found his success with eCommerce at a very young age of 23 years old.
He said that he was able to turn his debt, living in the basement of his parent’s house to making $20 million in one year through multiple million-dollar eCommerce stores.
He’s said to be the youngest member of Forbes council – no doubt about this. Though you really just need to pay $2,500 to join the Forbes council. If you do have the money, by all means, you can join the “inner circle” too.
Unlike many dropshipping gurus out there who are extremely active on YouTube, Kevin Zhang had only produced 6 videos (with a lot of promotional content) on his channel.
That said, he did have over 67,000 subscribers to his YouTube channel to which I’m guessing mainly came from the YouTube ads that he had launched to promote his course.
And even though he had taken down his Instagram and Facebook accounts, he still has his Twitter account up (last updated on November 2020) and LinkedIn profile where you can see his other previous business experiences.
There are a few things that struck out to me but I’ll share more about them in the next section. But before we get into that, let’s just go through his famous course first.
Kevin Zhang’s Ecommerce Millionaire Mastery Overview
This is the famous Kevin Zhang’s eCommerce course – that I believe you and I have come across last year.
It’s a course that can take you to start your own dropshipping business from A to Z, priced at a one-time payment of $2,000 or 5 payments of $499 ($495 more expensive).
Here’s the breakdown of what you’ll be getting with the course:
- Introduction to eCommerce
- This is just to introduce the entrepreneurial mindset that you will need to have in order to go through with this course of business.
- Branded Niche Dropshipping
- Kevin has his “own” way of branding his stores and finding the perfect niche for dropshipping business and he’s going to share them here.
- He did say that his websites are looking a lot more trustworthy with better branding – but to be honest, I don’t see them very different from other dropshipping stores. Franklin’s Hatchett’s own dropshipping store looks a lot more trustworthy, in my humble opinion.
- eCommerce Consumer Psychology
- This is something that a lot of business owners (me, included before) missed when building the brand. So this is where you’ll get a lesson on differentiating the types of consumers and how to find your right target market.
- Shopify Store Mastery
- This is the module where you will learn how to set up your Shopify store from scratch. You can actually learn how to do this for free on YouTube (there are many in-depth videos on this).
- Setting up Your Facebook Account for Advertising
- This is the module where you’ll learn the basic setup you will need to do to get started with Facebook Ads.
- Making Engaging and Highly Profitable Advertisement
- It’s an in-depth module teaching you how to create multiple different ad creatives that you can use for your Facebook Ads.
- Facebook Ads Strategy Mastery (Part 1)
- You will get to learn the fundamentals of Facebook Ads and what you need to keep in mind when running an eCommerce-type of ad.
- Facebook Ads Strategy Mastery (Part 2)
- Once you’ve had success with the fundamentals, this is where you will learn how to scale your Facebook Ads.
- Most Important Business Principles to Understand for eCommerce
- If you’ve never been to the eCommerce world, this will be something new to you. But it’s not rocket science.
- Email Marketing and SMS Marketing for Dropshipping
- This is where you will learn how to automate your email marketing strategy as well as taking advantage of SMS marketing.
- A/B Testing and Multivariate Testing
- If you’re thinking of creating an A/B test for your store maybe to test different price points, then this module will teach you how to do so. Though there are many YouTube videos already covering this topic in detail.
- Customer Support Best Practices
- Customer support will be one of the most important things when running a dropshipping store. It’s one of my least favorites when it comes to dropshipping business.
- You will learn how to automate your orders, what to do with chargebacks or refunds as well as moderating your store’s social media accounts.
- Keeping Your Business Alive and Out of Trouble
- You will learn the legal side of creating a business, including doing your taxes. But you will also get to know how to mediate any banning from Facebook or other regulators.
- Building Advanced Infrastructure and Achieving Full Automation
- This is the lesson you will go to once your store is already successful and you want to scale it up.
The course also has a 14 day action-based money-back guarantee.
Meaning that you will need to fulfil below actions to be eligible for refund:
I won’t deny that you will get a ton of lessons with Kevin Zhang’s course.
You will get a total of 178 lessons which is great if you’re a perfectionist but I also think that it will be too much for a beginner to start.
And if you are a beginner in this dropshipping eCommerce world, I won’t recommend to even start with dropshipping because it isn’t as easy and it takes a lot more capital than you think.
I’ll share my reasons for saying that more in-depth later in the post, but before we get into that, let’s answer the question of the day.
Is Kevin Zhang A Scam? Can You Trust Him?
There are a lot of people uncovering the truths about Kevin Zhang and many called him a fraud.
In my opinion, Kevin Zhang is just like any other salespeople out there who exaggerate a lot of things to make a sale and giving the appearance that he is extremely successful.
If you do get his course, you will get what you pay for.
He isn’t exactly going to run away with your money and that you won’t get the lessons.
That said, there are a few things that don’t sit well with me:
- He claims not be making money solely from courses but instead lives what he preaches.
- If he’s extremely successful, and want to help others (like his big donations), why don’t make the course a lot more affordable for people to get?
- Or why not just share free info on YouTube like many other YouTube content creators did..
Should You Get Ecommerce Millionaire Mastery?
One of the reasons is that there are other cheaper dropshipping courses that you can take, that still takes you step-by-step.
There aren’t many things that you know about Kevin Zhang. Comparing him to other dropshipping “gurus” on YouTube, many of them do actually give out a lot of free content that you can consume and get to know them better before joining their courses.
Not with Kevin Zhang though.
Secondly, you will only be learning how to utilize Facebook Ads to generate traffic. Comparing this course to other high-priced dropshipping courses, many of them include other traffic lessons like:
- Organic SEO
- Google Shopping Ads
- Snapchat Ads
- Pinterest Ads
And most importantly, why I wouldn’t recommend the course or dropshipping, in general, is because dropshipping needs A LOT of capital, hard work, and time to make it successful.
And no, you won’t be able to do it by just spending an hour everyday like what Kevin claimed.
As someone who has been doing dropshipping for a year, I honestly wouldn’t go back to it and wouldn’t recommend this business model to anyone but especially to beginners.
If you’re a beginner, there are a few things you will need to know about dropshipping:
1) Only When You Have Capital
Dropshipping is really NOT for someone who are strapped with money. There are so many other expenses that you will need to pay such as:
– Shopify hosting
– Domain name
– Transaction Fee
– Facebook Ads
– Instagram Influencer
– Additional paid apps
So unless you have AT LEAST $5,500 to spare to start this business model, dropshipping unfortunately is not for you. You’ll be spending at least $2,000 to get started with Facebook Ads – and that won’t even guarantee any sales coming in.
2) Vicious Cycle
If you argue that you will be able to take home $2,000/mo if you get to make $10,000/mo, I’m sorry to break it down to you but that $2,000 will need to be re-invested to find another winning product and be spent for Facebook Ads testing.
This is one of the biggest reasons I quit dropshipping.
A lot of beginners are not aware of this vicious, vicious cycle.
3) Not The Best Business Model
As I’ve mentioned in 2021, dropshipping isn’t exactly the best business model out there. A lot of people already know the trick of “free product + shipping” and asking them to wait for 2-3 weeks for product delivery is a deal-breaker.
Put yourself in the customer’s shoe, will you go and buy a product from a store that will take 2-3 weeks to ship the products to you or you’d rather go to Amazon.com and get your products delivered the next day?
I’d go with Amazon.com. And that brings me to the next point.
Another Way to Make Money For Beginners
After I left dropshipping, I found a better way to make money online that is a lot more passive and won’t need me to fork out so much capital (or in fact, any capital) when first starting out.
I really wish I’d found this sooner.
I switched from doing a dropshipping business to affiliate marketing.
- it was free for me to get started
- I don’t need to be running ads all the time
- my traffic is organic, therefore a lot more sustainable
- I don’t need to handle refunds or customer service
- it’s much easier for me to do with a 9-5 job
So how exactly I get started with affiliate marketing as a newbie?
I found a course that is free to start and if I like it, it’s a lot more affordable and easier for me to take my hustle further.
The main point that got me hooked is that I can start for free as a beginner.
I don’t need to put down my credit card details. There’s literally ZERO payment that I have to make as a beginner.
I can stay as a free member as long as I would like in order to learn the basics.
Affiliate marketing might not sound as grand as having my own eCommerce store, but it is a business that is still giving me income today from something I’ve built and haven’t touched in 3 years.
Can you see how sustainable that is?
I too, start as a total newbie with this venture and slowly but surely make my way and now have been earning consistently from my websites.
If you aren’t sure what affiliate marketing is all about, you can click here.
But just how much can you earn from affiliate marketing?
See how a stay-at-home-mum student from my #1 recommended training platform was able to make $2K from her new website with a new affiliate offer.
We both went through the same training and you will too!
If you want to know how I was able to get started with affiliate marketing for free as a newbie, you can check out my short video here where I’ll take you through everything I did.
But if you want to do it too and get free training, here’s my FREE 7-day training where I’ll take you to step by step on what to do each day.
The course is free, it’s free to get started and there’s no credit card details required.
Click here to learn what affiliate marketing is, or get my free training by clicking the button below.